Qasr Tuba قصر طوبة
Visited on 25/1/2013
Never to be completed, this now ruined Umayyad desert complex is probably one of the most isolated ruins in Jordan (second only to Burqu). Construction on the building began in 743 ACE during the reign of Caliph Walid the 2nd with it being intended to be a multi-use building, including a palace, caravanserai, hunting lodge and meeting place for the rulers and Bedouins. Tuba joins Qasr Mushatta in what would’ve been longstanding examples of Umayyaed Islamic architecture, where both buildings were never completed after assassination of the Caliph. It was “rediscovered” in 1869 by Alois Musil.
Copyright © Bashar Tabbah. All rights reserved.